Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tex Mex Vegetarian Chili Over Polenta

I made this the other night and it turned out delicious! I never would have thought to put chili over polenta but it is wonderful! Its not like football chili either it is a complex mix of flavors which meld together perfectly. This recipe comes from Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian cookbook - she is one of my favorite chefs always full of flavor!

Tex Mex Vegetarian Chili Over Polenta adapted from Madhur Jafferey's World Vegetarian

Chili Ingredients
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Leek chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 green or red pepper- I only had a red!
1/4-1 fresh or dried hot pepper like jalapeno
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 ts dried thyme
1/2 ts dried sage
1 ts oregano
1/4 ts cayenne or ancho chili powder - I love ancho!
1 can or cup of Kidney beans - rinsed
1 can or cup of White navy beans or other bean- rinsed
1-2 cans diced tomatoes - drained slightly
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Saute leeks and garlic in oil for several minutes then add the peppers. Cook for a few more minutes and add beans and tomatoes. Then add all the seasonings except cilantro. Let cook for 30-50 minutes on low stirring occasionally. Add the cilantro and serve over polenta.

Polenta- Try to find the dry kind and it has less ingredients. It is usually in the Italian aisle. I like organic as it is non GMO. I used the kind of polenta in a log shape that is found in the refrigerated section. It had some dried onion and natural flavors in it. I didn't buy it again even though I was desperate and ate it anyway without problems.
Cook according to package instructions for soft polenta. I added a tablespoon or 2 of butter and a pinch or 2 of salt to the mush and it was wonderful!

And yes the bats are STILL here- ugh

No comments:

Post a Comment