Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Empanadas

I LOVE things that I can make a lot of at one time and freeze for later. Its like your own customized frozen food meals. I think it is really important to have something in the freezer to pull out on nights when things are rough or crazy! When your on a specialized diet like I am it means you need to get creative and make them yourself. I figure if I am going to put in the effort to make dinner why not double or triple the recipe and freeze some! I tested this out and they freeze wonderfully! The filling combinations are endless- chicken pot pie, chicken enchilada filling etc

Empanadas- based on the recipes found at marthastewart.com

Filling
1lb ground turkey
2 cans black beans- I like Eden Organic because the can is BPA free
2 leeks- cut into small pieces
2 dried chilies diced
1 can diced tomatoes
salt/pepper to taste
chili powder
fajita seasoning
1 cup fresh cilantro

Dough- I doubled this but not the filling
4 1/2 cups flour-I did half white wheat and half sprouted wheat
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup cold water

Filling

Cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add leeks and cook until soft. Add beans, diced tomatoes and all the seasonings except the cilantro. cook until all ingredients are hot. Add cilantro and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.

Dough

I used the cheaters method for the crusts and used my food processor. You can do it the old fashioned way like a pie crust and cut in the butter see here for more details.

Food Processor method

Add flour and dry ingredients to food processor bowl, add sliced cold butter and process until the butter is thoroughly mixed into very tiny bits. Then slowly while the food processor is running add the cold water to the mixture. The mixture will slow down and suddenly form a big dough ball. That is when you tun it off! Its done!

Cut the dough into small 2" balls you should have around 8 per batch.

Roll out each ball on a well floured surface.

Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling on one side of the circle and fold over the other side. press shut and crimp edges with fork. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. If making to freeze place uncooked empanadas in freezer on sheet  for 2 hours. Then remove and put into freezer bags.

If eating right away place in oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until slightly brown.

I topped with tomato sauce/puree and it was delicious! Cream cheese was also good! Remember no sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment