Thursday, April 5, 2012

Healthy Smoothie for Breakfast

When I first went on this diet I realized my whole breakfast was a migraine trigger!
My old breakfast was
  • Peanut butter on sprouted grain toast (PB is a trigger)
  • Soy milk in my coffee (i didn't give up coffee as i have tried in the past and it was a disaster migraine wise but the Soy milk with carrageenan in it!)
  • Greek yogurt with strawberries or other fruit sometimes bananas! (Bananas! cultured dairy! later i switched to cottage cheese and that had carrageenan in it and even the organic non carageenan gave me a headache)

I decided to give smoothies a try. I got a new really powerful blender which has really made a difference!  Some mornings when I have that drug hangover or feel kinda headachy i make a really vitamin rich smoothie like the one below and I feel so much better. I think it must help flush all that bad junk out of your body.

This is a versatile recipe but you have to remember that you cant put things you would normally put in a smoothie because they are migraine triggers. No bananas, yogurt, soy milks or other milks, products with carageenan, citrus raspberries.
-go for organic ingredients when you can! I am lucky enough to have a freezer full of fruit I froze last summer!

My favorite Morning No Trigger Smoothie
-half cup frozen strawberries
- 1 carrot
- 1 2-3 inch chunk of cucumber
-if your really needing a boost a handful of spinach
-half cup blueberries
-half cup of peaches
-1/4 teaspoon or chunk or fresh ginger
1 cup water

blend till smooth

Sometimes I also throw in a handful of oats too.

I have been making them for at least a month now almost every morning. Some days I skip it and make oatmeal instead but I almost always wish I had just bit the bullet and made it anyway!

Do you have a favorite migraine friendly healthy smoothie recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment