Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ginger Garlic Stir Fry

I have been really wanting some Asian food lately. In my head I keep thinking about how I could make that happen while still being migraine friendly- no soy sauce (sesame oil seemed to cause me trouble too) no fish sauces or premade sauces etc. I decided to try it and chose some ingredients that had big flavors and would carry the stir fry off without all the usual ingredients! It turned out great my husband gave it great reviews!

Ginger Garlic Stir Fry

1 pack of cut up boneless chicken thighs or breasts
1 bunch of baby bok choy
3 carrots
1 package of shiitake mushrooms
1 inch hunk of fresh ginger some diced some grated on a zester
4-5 cloves of garlic diced
cornstarch
water
Bangkok blend spice from penzeys spices
salt- used quite a bit more- I am not a big salt person but it needed it to make up for no soy sauce
sugar
rice of choice


Start rice! Cook according to rice directions I usually do 2 cups water/ 1 cup rice, bring to a boil then turn to low and cover and cook until the water is absorbed.

Cut up chicken and start cooking. I put a little garlic olive oil down in my wok first.
While the chicken is cooking cut the carrots, bok choy, garlic and ginger (mushrooms too if not presliced).

When chicken is almost done add Bangkok blend 1-2 Tbs, garlic and zested ginger.  When fully cooked add a half cup of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. This makes a sauce. Mix and get all the bits of chicken and spices from the pan into the sauce.

Add carrots. Sauce should be thickening!
Add some salt and a dash of sugar to taste.
Add some minced ginger.
When carrots are nearly done, add mushrooms cook 1-2 minutess add bok choy cook until the white crunchy part is cooked a little but still slightly crunchy.
Give it a final taste and adjust salt/sugar

Serve over a bed of rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment