Thursday, March 22, 2012

Carrageenan and Other Recent MSG Problems


I happened to be baking cookies the other day, when I glanced at the oat milk in the fridge. The same oat milk I had switched to when this whole diet thin started almost 2 months ago. At that point I didn't know as much as I do now and I was focusing mostly on avoiding soy and almond. My husband is lactose intolerant so I was trying to find something we both could have. I thought I had found it when I had bought the oat milk. What I totally did not realize then is how many places MSG can be hiding.
So there on the ingredient list was CARRAGEENAN!

I have been putting it in my coffee, morning smoothie and cooking with this stuff for almost 2 months!

Then I did some research - its linked to intestinal cancers and IBS! I have IBS!
This guy had a interesting post about the link of his migraines and carregeenan.
This site was interesting as well http://www.msgmyth.com/.

Then I saw it could be in toothpaste! I use Tom's natural toothpaste- Yep its in there! and in my sons Tom's kids toothpaste too!!! Luckily I had made my own recently and was just lazy and not using it! But jeez! I made 3 different kinds the best of the 3 was this one I think or very similar!

Natural Toothpaste Recipes*
grittier version
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup fine sea salt
1ts-1tbs plain Dr. Bonner's Castile soap- you can leave this out but makes it more bubbly
20 drops or to taste- stevia extract
10 drops peppermint essential oil or more to taste

Option 2*- creamier version but hardens easily in winter
2-3 tablespoons baking soda
1 Tbs dr bonners
5 Tbs coconut oil- be careful if you are sensitive to coconut
stevia to taste
peppermint essential oil to taste


Its different in texture and taste but you get used to it and hey it works AND no migraine!

If that was not enough I was out of my homemade mouthwash! Now folks this is important I have a mouth guard for TMJ (migraine related!) you might be able to skip mouthwash otherwise but a fresh rinse on a mouth guard is priceless! My husband has the regular green stuff full of colors that led me to make my own anyway, but last night of all nights it was out! I look at the ingredients and what do I see "FLAVOR" hmmm is that like the MSG hiding natural flavors? Who the hell knows! I felt like I was in bathroom hell! First the toothpaste and now the mouthwash!

Mouthwash Recipe
For each cup of water add
1 teaspoon baking soda
3-4 drops peppermint essential oil
put in a glass jar and shake to dissolve baking soda,
use like regular mouth wash, shake right before using, store on the counter

Moving right on in the bathroom to the GELATIN in all those prescription medications! Mine even have bright colors! Not sure what to do with these as its a LOT of powder to take, maybe applesauce? PB is out...

As the final straw in this post, I have sad news about Daiya fake cheese that I have previously recommended on here. Upon further scrutiny it too has natural flavors. Sorry folks its a no go.

I know its depressing! Its getting hard to keep track of! Even I am getting confused!

*natural toothpaste recipes is a combonation of these two (1 & 2) wonderful blogs recipes but had to be modified- no lemon! and i don't like glycerin in homemade toothpaste:)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying reading your posts (that sounds cruel ) but I'm a migraine fighter too and it's nice to find someone who understands.
    I bought the msg myth cookbook but I don't think I'm hyper sensitive to msg, it's been 3 wks since last migraine, although after a day of crazy junk eating (probably loaded with carageen) I have a BAD migraine. Maybe too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carageenan and autolyzed yeast(goldfish!), natural flavors oh boy!!!
    I am glad your here! We all need to band together- sometimes it can be so very lonely!

    ReplyDelete