Monday, March 5, 2012

Easy and Fast No Headache Pizza


Let’s face it pizza is one of those foods that people seem to can’t live without! It is also a triple and sometimes even quadruple whammy in the headache trigger department.
The possible migraine triggers in pizza include:


  • Cheese!
  • Fresh baked yeast crust
  • Onion in the sauce
  • Toppings- sausage, bacon, pepperoni, etc.




Easy and Fast No Headache Pizza
The Recipe
You will need:
  • A piece of store bought naan or pita bread for each person you plan to make a pizza for (I used whole wheat naan).
  • 1 jar of tomato paste- make sure it only has tomatoes as ingredients- no onions! I like Bionaturae’s organic tomato paste in a glass jar (cans have BPA and the fewer chemicals the better for people with migraines!
NOTE ON TOMATOES- some people are sensitive to tomatoes the general guidelines is under ½ cup a day – here we use about 2 tablespoons. If you are avoiding tomatoes you can use olive oil, garlic and basil!
  • 1 package of fake cheese – read the ingredients carefully some may have MSG hard to tell I have tried a brand called Daiya mozzarella style shreds – it has some coconut oil in it, BUT I have had it 3 times and have been fine. It seemed one of the best options available in my local stores. It melts well, tastes good, feels like cheese, and looks like cheese. It’s not perfect as I like real whole foods and this is obviously not, BUT a girl has to make concessions when faced with a diet this strict!
  • Spinach or other toppings
  • Seasoning- I suggest ground fennel, oregano, basil, or any combo you like. I think good quality spices really make a difference and reccomend Penzeys Spices
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 365 degrees.

  • Place the naan or pita on a cookie sheet.

  • Spread the bread with the tomato paste and sprinkle with seasonings.

  • Sprinkle with cheese and toppings. Don’t put on too many toppings or it could get soggy!

  • Bake for about 8 minutes. I check it frequently! I don’t like it very crispy!

Enjoy!!!!


3 comments:

  1. This looks good! You said "but it has coconut oil in it"......is that a bad thing? Is coconut a migraine trigger? Ugh if it is I'm in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes coconut can be a trigger for some people. I am not sure it is for me. I have had a little in some things and been ok for me so far but in huge doses like using coconut oil in GF stuff like you might be doing.... could spell trouble! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using it for all my cooking and in my daily smoothie. I can switch back to olive oil easily enough. We'll see...thanks!

      Delete