Thursday, March 8, 2012

Supplements


Supplements have been a big part of my “turnaround” program.  Some I picked for energy because many of the preventatives and zomig really zap my energy. 

                                                                              My shelf!

Spirulina-(2-4 capsules a day) isa blue green algae that is high in protein and high in b vitamins. I get it in the tablet form because it doesn’t taste great in the powder.

Bee Pollen-(1 capsule a day) is a super concentrated form of nutrients and nourishes the nervous system. I figured mine needed nourishing!

Some like Rutin (3 capsules a day).Make sure you get a good quality Rutin. I got mine here ) Rutin are natural Histamine blockers. Histamine and its relation to migraines and food allergies is a link that keeps coming up the more I research the things that seem to be working on my headaches this time around (diet, herbs, supplements, chiropractic). You can read more about it here.

Butterbar (75mg 2x a day) sold by Petadolex by Wiley and Wiley - (the 50 mg can be found cheaper elsewhere) This really does seem to be working. It takes about 2-3 weeks to build up in your body. I have also read that Butterbar also is a histamine blocker as well as the things advertised on its website. This was given to me by my neurologist to try.

Niacin and B6 100mg 3x a day- These B vitamins are recommended to be taken as a save when you feel a headache coming on. Since up until now I had a headache all the time I just took them 3 times a day, since it was not working as a save for me. I can tell when I have missed a dose of these. They regulate your blood vessels which the swelling of blood vessels is a symptom of migraines – read about it here .

Magnesium- 400mg 2x a day- I have a Prescription for this and I think it’s a little better quality than the kind in the store, but I have taken that too. I also have a magnesium powder that dissolves in a drink that is also great when you have a headache. There is a strong link between low magnesium levels and migraines, especially if you have other problems. For instance I have IBS, which impacts my ability even further to absorb vitamins like magnesium.

DSF Herbal- My chiropractor gave me this for adrenal stress to take for 60 days.

I also take Rainbow Light’s Women’s Multi Vitamin.

WOW that’s a lot!

I am crazy I know! But hopefully I wont be taking all this forever, I am just trying to jumpstart some healing and recovery in my body. By sharing with all of you I hope I have given you some ideas of some new things try if you are stuck in a rut with your current therapy regimen!

4 comments:

  1. After a particularly nasty migraine bout (with anxiety attack - due to Relpax maybe) my dr. gave me scripts for muscle relaxant, anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety.... I was so weak from all these drugs, shaky, losing weight... I finally weaned off and started researching supplements....
    Now, like you I take Petadolex 2x a day 50mg. B2 and B6, Magnesium 250mg although I'm thinking of adding one more a day, I was at 1000mg when I was in crisis, Feverfew, CoQ10 and Fish oil. I haven't taken the Niacin - do you get the flush? That feeling freaks me out!
    Have you read the Vitamin Cure for Migraines by Steve Hickey. Its fabulous, supports a lot of what you're doing.
    Its great to connect with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on or have taken all of those drugs too the side effects are killer right!?
    I will have to check out the vitamin cure book out!!
    I would definitely think about bumping the magnesium up to 400mg 2x a day! I went to a headache clinic in nyc and my current neuro both have prescribed that amount. I also get 1000mg infusions of magnisium once a week which is helping. I have trouble absorbing nutrients- never got the niacin flush but my husband did! He also gets migraines but only once and a while! Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog
    Epilepsy - Diagnosis and treatment in Odisha & Treating Seizures and Epilepsy in Bhubaneswar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Mount ISA Physiotherapy

    ReplyDelete